Sunday, July 24, 2011

Slug to IM

Well, I am an Ironman - having finished successfully at IM Louisville in August of 2009. What a great year that was for me - physically and mentally. I was in the best shape of my life, celebrating my 50th birthday by running multiple marathons - one of them on my birthday proper - several Ultras and competing in a variety of longer course Tris. I was fit and happy. That was August 2009.
Within 60 days of that event my workplace underwent major changes that required time and focus that would not allow for quality or quantity of any kind of training.
I continued to run off and on, mostly short stuff but abandoned swimming and biking totally. I developed an achilles injury that would go on for many months and culminate in my being stuck in a big boot for 2 months - and having to take off from all weightbearing exercise. I also found myself spending many hours in my car with the changed job responsibilities, staying in hotels and eating out. Needless to say - I packed on 20lbs over the last 2 years - and even though I have returned to running and completed a half marathon, two 50K trail runs and a marathon this past spring, I struggle carrying around the extra pounds.
I also managed to re-injure my achilles - a result of too much too soon transitioning to forefoot running which puts a greater amount of strain on the calf - an already tight calf muscle yanking on the tendon - making it very angry. A few more weeks of not running and little else. Amidst all of that I decided to sign up for IM CDA - June 24, 2012. Nothing like putting a goal and date and not to mention plunking down your hard earned cash - to regain focus that had gone by the wayside. So here I am - 11 months away from my event - and training starts tomorrow :) seriously.

1 comment: