Monday, July 25, 2011

T-335 - I think

11 months to go. Day one of training done.
This won't sound like much - but as I said at the beginning - starting from scratch.
I did run about 4 very easy miles yesterday - still concerned about re-injuring that achilles. I taped up with Kinesio Tape - or KTape - great stuff with good information on how to apply. It really works and let's face it - it comes in fun colors.

Rolled out of bed early this morning - fighting the urge to roll over instead. I feel that it is part of the discipline you have to develop - up early, getting that headstart on the day. It is a well documented fact that people who get up and work out in the morning are more likely to stick with it. There are days when I have to work out at the end of the day and that is ok too - but nothing is quite like getting up, getting out and getting it done.

This morning's workout consisted of a rowing session with Xeno Mueller. Those of you who erg will know what I am talking about. Xeno Mueller is a Swiss rower and Olympic Gold Medalist. He coaches and produces training videos for indoor rowing - or the erg. I rowed until my shirt was as sweaty as his - a typical Xeno prediction. The indoor rower is probably the single most effective all over body workout. You can get serious cardio while getting a strength and core workout - all at the same time. As a matter of fact, when I first transitioned from walking to running, whenever running felt hard, I would revert to walking. It wasn't until I decided to participate in an indoor rowing race that I realized that you can push way past your perceived limits and not actually die. 2000 meters all out. The toughest 8 minutes I have ever spent working out. Highly recommend. Just be sure to get checked by your physician before you try :).

I spent 25 minutes on the erg - plenty for a first time/come back row. Immediately following the row, I hopped on my bike and pedaled for about 30 minutes at a 17mph average with 26mph high. Warm up and then actual work out. I am a spoiled brat - I do have a Computrainer - this is a trainer that turns your bike into a stationary bike - but wait - there's more! The trainer is connected to my pc and I can ride a variety of preloaded courses or upload my own from rides around the area - from my Garmin. Yes, I am gadget girl. The trainer simulates actual terrain in that it applies a brake to the rearwheel when there are inclines and releases the pressure for flats and downhills. Now, there still is never any coasting - so no true downhill but after climbing hard, the release feels like you are coasting. You do have to pedal continuously in order to rack up the miles and cover the distance. On screen information is awesome, plus I can ride against a "ghost rider" or even load up a "Real 3D" course - for example - IM Coeur D'Alene Bike Course, complete with video of the actual course and simulation of all that road can throw at you. All I need now are some kick butt tunes and I am set.

So, long story short - I did what I had planned, I got up early (discipline) and erged (aka the swim) and biked - if even just for a short stretch. Building the foundation and not wrecking what finally is healed.

Nutrition today was good - I did have a fruit smoothie - made at home with pineapple, mango and greek yogurt - not quite paleo but seriously delicious and nutritious. I packed a couple of peaches and my Chia Fresca - a mix of fresh squeezed lime juice, water and chia seeds. If I was running I would add honey, or maple syrup for carbs and sweetness but since I was headed for the office and a drive in my desk chair, splenda seemed more appropriate. Lunch was a salad of greens, chicken breast and roasted veggies with balsamic vinaigrette - courtesy of Trader Joe's. I snacked on macademia nuts. Dinner was another salad. Greens, chicken, cranberries and italian dressing. A glass of red wine to top it off. Yes, I know, wine not exactly paleo either but the book says that there isn't anything wrong with it and I suspect my sturdy paleo ancestor probably came upon some fermenting fruit and not only consumed but likely enjoyed it.

I was pleased when I stepped on the scale this morning that I had not gained any weight while on vacation. Always a bonus not to have to start over from where you have already been.

So, all in all a good start to my day and the next 334 days.

Working out in the morning - I don't care if that means you get up and walk, run, bike, jog, walk your dog....whatever - sets you up for the day ahead. It gives you energy and confidence and let's you handle life in a different way.

Sticking to my plan - tomorrow will be a run and a kettle bell workout. Time to hit the hay so that I can roll out of bed - not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment