Sunday, August 21, 2011

Back on line and back on track

Been away for a bit - partly because I was off line for a few days camping and then just buried and getting ready for Ragnar Great River Relay 2011.

Camping:  Sturgis SD.  Bike Rally.  Lots of fun - great weather - although we threaded the needle between a couple of good storms while out riding one afternoon - lots of interesting bikes, people and tattoos.  Tom commented on the fact that he had talked to more people from other countries than our own while we were there.  We met people from South Africa, Australia, Great Britain, Switzerland and of course, our neighbors to the north also join in the fun in large numbers.  For the most part the the crowd consists of 50 somethings, shopping for tshirts for their grand kids.  Not saying that the rowdy factor of the bike rally has been replaced with the geriatric group - it is all out there - and that is what makes it colorful and fun and enjoyable no matter who you are.  We walked around Sturgis, took in some of the bands at the larger saloons - The Knuckle and Easy Riders and rode our bike around the Black Hills.  One guy we heard play was particularly fun. Blind Joe.  He really is blind, a talented musician, funny and wouldn't you know it - from Moorhead!  Stayed in a campground outside of Sturgis, so relatively quiet.  I got up early every other morning and went for a run.  That put me in the weirdo category in Sturgis!  :)  Lots of WTF looks from the hungover crowd.

I enjoyed my early morning runs - low humidity, slight inclines, wide open spaces - well - the area anyway. The road was 65mph with a 6" shoulder - or so it felt.  One morning I had to dodge 2 beer trucks.

Other than my runs out of the campground and up and down the highway - there was little exercise.
On the nutrition front - well, there were eggs and pancakes at the campground "eatery" and then whatever we felt like later in the day.  One has to have fun too.  I don't think I did any permanent damage.

Back at home, work was busy so not much time for training either, with Ragnar looming large.  When I had signed up to run, I was getting back in shape, working out pretty well, coming off a spring of decent endurance runs.  Feeling good I signed up for one of the longer and difficult legs.  Piece of cake - right?  But then my Achilles acted up again and I was starting over.  My training ultimately then consisted of no more than 5 or 6 miles - no hills - other than the small inclines in my neighborhood, as that makes the Achilles issue worse, and the one long outing I posted about on the Douglas trail.  Never one to miss out on a fun time though, there was no way I wasn't going. 

Glad I did.  Out of 12 team members, I knew 2, neither of them were in my vehicle.  No concerns there - I have never met a stranger in my life.  In my van, Van 2,  were Robyn, Jenn, Kari, Angie and Sue. Robyn was our awesome captain, organizer, keeper straighter of where to be and what to do.  She also drove the van most of the time, meaning she had least rest of all of us.  Robyn is a steady runner, hitting her predicted pace pretty much 100% of the time - no matter the conditions.  She has a great smile, and an awesome sense of humor.  Sue is a workhouse, pushing herself hard for her team.  A solid runner, fun to be around and taking on the team mom spot, always having just what you need in her bag somehow.  Kari - a late entry - joining us to fill in for my friend Suzanne who had to drop due to injuries.  Hadn't run much this past year due to a new baby in the house.  Wouldn't have known it if she hadn't said it.  She is in great shape and dealt with the high mileage without a problem.  She has a ready smile and quick sense of humor.  Jenn is bright and shiny - open honest smile and ready laugh.  She had a tough first run leg with so much heat and apparently starting out dehydrated and never catching up. She wound up with the shivers and feeling frustrated but bounced back during her night run - setting such a blistering pace we lost track of her and missed her at the exchange.  She outran the van :).  It took me a little while to get a sense for Angie - our last runner.  She was  more quiet than the rest of us most of the time but no less fun to be around.  She is a tiny little thing but don't let that fool you.  She ran her first leg strong and fast.  Partway into her second leg she wound up with knee pain. She insisted on finishing her leg, chugging her way uphill for about a mile to the exchange.  When time came for her final leg which would take the entire team to the finishline she had iced and taped her knees, chucked back some advil  and resolved to do battle.  We all waited anxiously near the finish - and then she came in, holding her head high while holding back tears - taking us in to the finish.  Barely able to walk afterward, she still wanted to hang around and celebrate with a beer!  What a woman.  

I am lucky to have landed on such a great team and look forward to getting know these ladies better - running or having beers or both!



Today, I am sore - not just the legs but pretty much all over, although the worst aches are in the quads.  No surprise there.  The Achilles is mildly tender but not enough to cause concern.  Today there won't be any exercise other than trips to and from the laundry room and pushing the vacuum around the house.

Tomorrow is a new day.  I ordered a second rear wheel for my road bike - an inexpensive wheel that I can have my training tire on, so that when I want to take my bike outside I can just do a quick wheel change instead of having to change tires - trainer tires are stiff and unfun to put on the rims.  I got my bike at my favorite place for all things cycling - Rochester Cycling & Fitness.  They looked up my bike, found me a wheel and a cassette that matches the one on my bike.  They also took care of removing the trainer tire from my regular wheel, putting it on the new wheel and putting my road tire back on.  All for well under $200.  As always I received fast, expert and most of all friendly service.

It feels good to be back on track and back on line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment