Saturday, January 28, 2012

Back at it!

I am not a great blogger to begin with - I mean - I am inconsistent at best.  Then, throw a wrench in to an already chaotic life and what you get is long radio silence.
I won't spend a lot of time rehashing the why's and what not's - suffice it to say that I had an awesome fall running season, posting a few PRs and then ran into a little snag in the form of a fractured second metatarsal.  I managed to do this part way into the Rails To Trails Half Marathon in Norwalk, WI.

Here are the first 5.63 miles of the race.  I was having a lot of fun, zipping right along and at mile 5 something just didn't feel right.  I tried for a bit to work it out by walking, stretching the foot etc, and finally realizing that my race was done.

I shut off the GPS at that point and walked to mile 6.5 - the turnaround and nearest volunteer.  My first DNF.  Ever.  That was November 6.

A visit to the ER, 3 days in a splint, 3 weeks in a hard cast (it was bright pink so there is a positive!), 2 weeks in the boot and 2 weeks in the lovely sandal.

No swimming, biking or running.  Nothing weightbearing at all.  I was desperately looking for cardio - not much out there when you can't use your legs - or at least one of them. 

Pretty slow getting back into it.  First time I walked and shuffled a little I ended up with a week of pain - too soon.  So, a little time on the bike and then try the run again.  Am able to do just about 4 miles now with warm up walk, run and cool down walk.  Pain free.  Slow - but hey, I am moving.

My official IM training plan starts February 6.  Right now I am just working on getting some conditioning back. 

Weight continues to be a challenge.  Plan had been to shed some pounds prior to the "real" training really starting.  Not being able to work out at all - the weight is right where it was 3 months ago.  Ugh. 

Enough whining though.  I am looking forward to my schedule going into full swing and having a set plan to follow.  Ironically - the swim which was my weakest part of the tri is the one thing I actually have the most confidence in right now.  I have been to the pool a little and it was like I had never left. 

I will try to post at least once a week to report on training, progress and hopefully a positive change on the scale. 

Off to ride that bike and then get ready for the Annual Track Club Banquet.  Motivating to get around other athletes so I am really looking forward to that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment